CommonWealth Builder Program
CommonWealth Builder Program Highlights
The CommonWealth Builder Program
- Provides subsidies of up to $150,000 per unit, and no more than $5 million per single project
- Supports production of homes affordable to households earning between 70% and 120% of area median income (AMI)
Projects eligible for the CommonWealth Builder Program are
- Located in Boston, the Commonwealth’s 26 Gateway Cities,* or qualified census tracts
- Projects of Scale: 20 units minimum, with at least 10 workforce-affordable units
- New construction or adaptive re-use projects only; no scattered-site proposals
*The Gateway Cities are Attleboro, Barnstable, Brockton, Chelsea, Chicopee, Everett, Fall River, Fitchburg, Haverhill, Holyoke, Lawrence, Leominster, Lowell, Lynn, Malden, Methuen, New Bedford, Peabody, Pittsfield, Quincy, Revere, Salem, Springfield, Taunton, Westfield, and Worcester.
Preference will be given to
- Mixed-income developments
- Projects with units restricted to residents with incomes at 70% of AMI
- Developers requesting less than $150,000 per unit
For more information, please contact MassHousing’s Rental Business Development Team.